Dagen då jag inte satte mig ner / The day when I didn't sit down

For English-speaking folks, scroll down and enjoy the photos along the way!



Jag har redan nämnt Katy Bowman och Nutritious Movement. Nu har jag dessutom fått två av hennes böcker; Move your DNA och Movement Matters. Jag plöjer igenom dem - det är så otroligt intressant!

Jag rekommenderar verkligen att alla kollar in henne och hennes idéer och vetenskapen bakom - men jag kan försöka beskriva tanken i korthet.

Precis som vi behöver olika former av näring (fett, protein, kolhydrater, mineraler, vitaminer etc) så behöver vår kropp också rörelse för att må bra. Inte nödvändigtvis träning - utan naturlig rörelse.

Om man ser på människan historiskt och evolutionärt så har vi alltid rört på oss. Vi har genom årtusenden gått flera kilometer om dagen, vi har burit saker, vi har squattat. Vi har helt enkelt varit jägare-samlare och så är vår kropp byggd. Vi har inte haft skor, bilar, slät asfalt, barnvagnar... Vi har använt vår kropp på ett sätt som nästan är helt främmande idag.

Och i vårt stillastående tillstånd formar vi också kroppen så som den inte är menad att vara. Våra celler, vårt DNA, behöver den rörelse kroppen är byggd för, för att den ska fungera korrekt. Många av våra kroppsliga problem - allt från ont i rygg, nacke, knän, höfter - säger vi att är "fel". Men faktum är att vår kropp reagerar precis som den ska, med tanke på hur vi använder den. Vill vi slippa dessa "fel" måste vi börja röra oss "rätt".

Så jag försöker nu få in naturlig rörelse mer. Katy säger nog i Move your DNA att man inte genast kan börja med att springa x antal kilometer om man aldrig gjort det förr. Då skadar man sig själv i onödan. Det gäller att börja långsamt. Men jag bestämde mig ändå för att försöka ha en dag då jag inte sätter mig ner. I alla fall inte i den mängd och längd som ALLA andra dagar i mitt liv.


Och hur har dagen gått? Jo, superbra faktiskt! Jag har suttit då jag ätit (på golvet), och då jag varit på WC. Jag har också suttit ibland ett par minuter för att vila och andas, och ett par minuter i bilen då jag körde äpplen till musteriet. Men det går inte när på att jämföra med varenda annan dag i mitt liv då så mycket av tiden gått åt till att sitta vid datorn, i soffan, framför spisen, i bilen.

Jag har skrivit upp de flesta saker jag gjort som krävt naturlig rörelse, mest för min egen skull men kanske det kan väcka tankar för er läsare. Grejen är ju den att detta är saker jag skulle ha gjort annars också, men kanske utspritt på en vecka. Nu hade jag möjlighet att klämma in det på en dag, främst för att testa mig själv.

Nutritious Movement handlar inte om att klämma in mer rörelse eller mer träning i dagliga schemat - utan att man ska röra på sig mer i sin egen vardag under tiden man gör allt man annars också skulle ha gjort. Det här beskriver hon bra i sina olika böcker och på hemsidan - som hur man gör om man jobbar på kontor 8 timmar om dagen.

Men för mig kändes det nödvändigt att testa mig själv och min kropp. Inget jättetungt kroppsarbete, för jag är inte i form för det, men rörelse, konstant.

Det här har jag gjort idag (inte nödvändigtvis i kronologisk ordning, för jag har varierat och gjort lite i gången vartefter enligt hur kroppen känt sig):

- Städat ur växthuset, burit och tömt krukor, varit med skottkärran till komposten etc.
- Burit tegelstenar - squats.
- Planterat ut en hortensia - squats.
- Burit ved. Jag har gjort allt idag utan handskar för att också träna huden på händerna. Jag bar veden utan korg, och gick istället fler vändor. Jag har övat på att inte bära med höften och magen, utan använt armstyrka, och inte låtit höfterna vinklas framåt. Squats.
- Tvättat och hängt kläder. Squats.
- Plockat och fotat blommor. Squats.
- Hämtat posten (ingen stor sak, men allt räknas!)
- Städat ur en stor vedkorg, squats.
- Diskat.
- Kaffepaus - läste lite i Move your DNA sittandes på låga meditationspallen, samt stretchade.
- Flyttat en stor resårmadrass från ett rum till ett annat.
- Städat sovrummet (vikt kläder och en massa annat).
- Dammsugit sovrummet.
- Täppt till ett "mushål" i taket, temporärt.
- Fört äpplen till musteriet (lyft tunga korgar/lådor).
- Skördat rotsaker och rönnbär. Squats.
- Rensat ur frysen lite. Squats.
- Lagat mat och ätit på golvet.
- Målat byrålådorna till mitt djur-på-möbler-projekt.

Och nu står jag och bloggar medan jag rör fötterna och stretchar lite.
 
Och hur mår jag nu då kvällen kommit? Bra! Jag har lite ont i fötterna (dels för att jag inte har rätt skor, dels för att jag är ovan att stå och gå så mycket). Jag har också haft lite ont i ena knät ibland, för min kropp är ovan med squats, och jag gör dem kanske inte rätt varje gång. Jag är nog trött men känner verkligen att kroppen fått den näring den behöver, och mentalt mår jag super för att jag fått så mycket gjort och fått använda kroppen hela tiden. Nacken och axlar och huvud mår bättre då jag inte suttit vid datorn (eller stått, som jag gör nuförtiden).

Hoppas detta kan inspirera någon att kolla in Nutritious Movement, och få in mer rörelse i sitt liv. Sakta, sakta, medvetet. Ett litet citat ur boken innan jag lämnar er:

"I don't want to discourage you from working diligently; I only want to encourage smart training practices, which include small increases in loading behaviors in order to adapt correctly. If you throw down this book and head out to hike five miles of rugged terrain while wearing your five-fingered shoes and carrying a kid in one arm and a deer carcass on your shoulder, you're going to be hurting the next day, and maybe for the next few months. Extreme soreness has become a celebrated experience in our culture, but pain is often an indication that you've gone too far, too fast. By applying basic exercise-science principles, you should be able to improve your health while undoing old adaptions - without injury."







AND IN ENGLISH :)


I have already mentioned Katy Bowman and Nutritious Movement in my earlier posts (in Swedish!). Now I've also received two of her books; Move your DNA and Movement Matters. I'm plowing through them - it's so incredibly interesting!I really recommend that everyone check her out and her ideas and the science behind them - but I can try to describe the idea in short.

Just as we need different forms of nutrition (fat, protein, carbohydrates, minerals, vitamins, etc.) our body also needs movement to feel good. Not necessarily exercise - but natural movement. If you look at humans historically and in an evolutionary sense, we have always moved. For millennia we have walked several kilometers a day, we've carried things, we've squatted. We have simply been hunter-gatherers and that's how our body is built. We haven't had shoes, cars, smooth asphalt, baby strollers ... We've used our body in a way that is almost completely void today.


And in our sedentary lifestyle we shape our bodies in a way they're not meant to be. Our cells, our DNA, need the movement the body is built for, to work properly. Many of our physical problems - pain in the back, neck, knees, hips - we call "wrong". But the fact is that our body reacts just as it should, given how we use it. If we want to avoid these "wrongs", we have to start moving "right".


So now I'm trying to get natural movement into my life more. In Move your DNA Katy does say that you can't start running x number of kilometers if you never did it before. Then you hurt yourself unnecessarily. It's all about starting slowly. But I decided to try to have a day when I didn't sit down. At least not in the amount or length as ALL other days of my life.


And how has the day gone? Well, super! I did sit down when I ate (on the floor), and when I went to the bathroom. I've also been sitting for a couple of minutes to rest and breathe, and a couple of minutes in the car when I took apples to the juicery. But it's not possible to compare this day to every other day in my life, of which I spent so much time sitting at the computer, on the couch, in front of the fireplace, in the car.


I have written down most of the things I did that required natural movement, mostly for my own sake, but maybe it also could awaken some thoughts in you readers! The thing is that these are things I would have done otherwise too, but maybe spread over a week's time. Now I had the opportunity to squeeze it in during one single day, mainly to test myself.


Nutritious Movement is not about squeezing more movement or more exercise into your daily schedule - but moving more naturally in your own daily life while doing the things you would've done anyhow. Katy describes this in detail in her various books and on the website - like how you get natural movement into your life if you have to work in an office 8 hours a day
.

But for me it felt necessary to test myself and my body. No heavy exercise type of work, because I'm not in shape, but movement, constantly.


This is what I did today (not necessarily in chronological order, because I have varied things and done a little of this and a little of that according to what my body was telling me):


- Cleaned out the greenhouse, carried and emptied pots, took the wheelbarrow to the compost etc.

- Carried bricks - squats.
- Planted a hydrangea. Squats. 
- Carried firewood. I have done everything today without gloves to also exercise the hand skin. I carried the wood without a basket, and instead I went several times to the wood shed. I have practiced not to carry with my hips and stomach, instead I used arm strength, and did not let the hips be stacked forward. Squats.
 - Washed and hung clothes. Squats.
 - Picked and photographed flowers. Squats.
 - Got my mail (no big deal, but everything counts!). 
- Cleaned out a large wood basket, squats.
 - Done the dishes.
 - Coffee break - read a few pages of Move your DNA sitting on the low meditation pad, as well as stretched.
 - Moved a large spring mattress from one room to another.
 - Cleaned bedroom (folded clothes and a lot of other things).
 - Vacuumed bedroom.
 - Closed off a hole made by mice, in the ceiling, temporarily.
 - Brought apples to the juicery (lifting heavy baskets/boxes).
 - Harvested root vegetables and rowan berries. Squats.
 - Cleaned out some stuff from the freezer. Squats.
 - Made food and ate on the floor. 
- Painted drawers for my animals-on-furniture project.

 And now I'm blogging while I'm moving my feet and stretching a bit.

And how do I feel now that the evening is creeping in? Good! I have some pain in my feet (partly because I don't have the right shoes, partly because I'm not used to being on my feet for so long). I've also had some pain in one knee, because my body isn't used to doing squats, and I may not do them correctly every time. I'm tired, but I really feel that my body got the nutrition it needs, and mentally I feel great because I got so much done and used my body the whole time. My neck and shoulders and head feel better when I didn't sit at the computer almost at all (or stood, as I do nowadays).


Hope this can inspire someone to check out Nutritious Movement, and bring more movement into their lives. Slow, slow, conscious. A small quote from the book before I leave you:


"I don't want to discourage you from working diligently; I only want to encourage smart training practices, which include small increases in loading behaviors in order to adapt correctly. If you throw down this book and head out to hike five miles of rugged terrain while wearing your five-fingered shoes and carrying a kid in one arm and a deer carcass on your shoulder, you're going to be hurting the next day, and maybe for the next few months. Extreme soreness has become a celebrated experience in our culture, but pain is often an indication that you've gone too far, too fast. By applying basic exercise-science principles, you should be able to improve your health while undoing old adaptions - without injury."


Kommentarer